Last week I was making a grilled London broil and baked potatoes for dinner (Yum!). I was also planning to grill some seasoned zucchini as our vegetable with dinner. When it came time to prepare dinner, I decided I wanted something a little different from grilled zucchini. I looked at the ingredients that I had on hand and developed this recipe for Italian Zucchini and Tomato Gratin. It was fast and easy to prepare, and my family loved it. I can’t wait to make it again once I have some home-grown tomatoes and zucchini to use! I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do!
Italian Zucchini and Tomato Gratin
2 small zucchini
¼ cup prepared pesto
½ cup (4 oz) fresh mozzarella pearls or shredded mozzarella cheese
1 ½ cups panko breadcrumbs
2 teaspoons salt-free Italian seasoning
2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Wash zucchini and tomatoes with cool running water.
- Slice zucchini into ¼-inch rounds.
- Chop tomatoes into bite-sized pieces.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine zucchini, tomatoes, and pesto.
- Coat a casserole dish with pan spray (8×8 or 7X11 sized casseroles will work well). Spread zucchini and tomato mixture into the pan.
- Sprinkle zucchini and tomato mixture with mozzarella cheese.
- In a small bowl, combine breadcrumbs, seasoning, and melted butter. Spread breadcrumb mixture evenly over the casserole.
- Cover casserole with aluminum foil.
- Bake for approximately 25-30 minutes or until zucchini is tender. Remove foil for the last 5 minutes of baking to allow the breadcrumbs to brown.
Makes approximately 6 servings.